We found each other, We fell in love with each other, And together we can be strong through everything and anything.

Follow by Email

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Birth story {Part 1}

I have decided that I need to tackle some of my Pinterest projects and will be doing one per week. So tonight I will decide on my project and begin working on it and upload how I did it and the outcome!

I have read many blogs that have posted their birth stories and I absolutely love reading them! So I thought I would post my own for my own purposes of having it written down so I don't forget and for anyone else who loves to read these kind of stories!

It all began on Memorial Day weekend. My husband's cousin had just graduated from high school and we were attending the graduation in grand forks. I remember everyone sitting around the table talking about when they were expecting my sister in law and I to have our babies. I was just about 36 weeks pregnant that day. We laughed for awhile talking about it landing on special occasions and who was going to be right. It's always fun to guess the birthdays of babies. We packed up our stuff and headed back to Ada for the weekend.

Aaron and I were living in Fargo at the time but we decided to visit Aaron's family for our long weekend since we both had Monday off. We also wanted to work on the "Polly house" which was a house we were planning on staying in come the first of June until we bought a house in Ada. Aaron's parents owned that house and it wasn't in great shape at all. I wish I had a picture of the house but I can't seem to find one. This is where we really started realizing DIY was made for us. We decided to work hard on that house all weekend! I wasn't exactly small in my eyes (many people let me know I was a tiny pregnant women but I didn't feel it). This was one of the last pictures I took before having Carson.

My clothes were starting to fit funny, haha. So I had just finished hand mopping the floor and I was getting pretty soar and tired so we decided to head back to Aaron's parents house for the night for supper and watch a movie together. After eating supper and watching the movie for maybe 30 minutes, I told Aaron I wasn't feeling the greatest and wanted to go to bed. We went to bed for a few hours and right around midnight, I woke up feeling strange. I was having cramps and felt like I may have peed my pants. I went to the bathroom where I had found I was bleeding and still having cramps. I wasn't sure what was going on. I was scared. I woke up Aaron and told him what was going on and he asked if that was supposed to happen. I didn't know. So we woke up Shelly (Aaron's mom) and let her know what was going on. I was only 36 weeks pregnant. This seemed to early.

We thought it was best to call the doctor and let him know what was going on and asked what we should be. My contractions were about 8 minutes apart and they told us to wait an hour and see how its going but what the doctor didn't realize was that we lived an hour away from the doctor. We waited about a half hour or so after the doctor call and around 1:00 in the morning, we thought it was best to head into the doctor.

My contractions were staying right around the 8 minutes apart all the way to the doctor. We walked in to get checked in and the front desk receptionist had recognized me from my work and just seemed to want to chat about it. I didn't want to chat.

We were put into a room where they would monitor me for an hour to see how my contractions were going. After finding out I was at 4 centimeters already, they decided to admit me into the labor room. It was now around 4 in the morning and my contractions were getting closer and more painful. I had to wait until I was at 6 centimeters before getting an epidural and that finally came around 6:00 in the morning. After that, life was great. I felt zero pain. We watched the news, Regis and Kelly and just really waited until I moved farther along. Right around 9:30 the doctor came in to check how far I was dilated. She said I was at 9.5 centimeters and by the time they got the doctor and everything set up, I was ready to have a baby. The nurse had me do a practice push to see how fast the doctor had to come in. She said push like you're having a bowl movement. I couldn't feel anything below my waist so I just basically held my breath and squeezed. The nurse yelled to stop after 3 seconds and said this baby is coming out now!!

I was in shock! I couldn't feel anything. No pain, no pressure. My midwife came in at 9:45 in the morning and told me to start pushing and at 9:59, Carson Aaron Kappes was here. There he was, laying on my chest once the doctors placed him there. I took a quick look at him and noticed his nose was squished sideways. I instantly asked if this was going to stay that way and they said no, he was probably just being squished against something and it would go back to normal.
Carson weighed in at 5 pounds, 12 ounces. He was perfect. It was one of the easiest things I had ever done in my life. Our lives had changed in such a short amount of time. We were truly blessed. We had many family and friends stop by to welcome our new baby boy into our lives.

Nobody could believe how little Carson was.

Aaron was so proud.

As was I.

Life is beautiful.
After the birth of Carson, I told everyone it was the easiest thing ever. I could have kids all day long if that's how is always goes. Well, then I was pregnant again and things were a little different the second time around. Until tomorrow....